Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: writing actions

  1. #1
    Inactive Member emjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2002
    Posts
    747
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm having a hard time writing actions on paper. (both in dutch and english, so its not really the spelling/grammar thing i'm having problems with). My english vocabulary isnt that great, but apart from that I'm finding it difficult how to write actions.

    I'm working on an action script right now. Basically what I do there is just write down what everyone is doing. But how can I put the 'feeling' and the 'mood' I have in my head down on paper, without having people whining over the script that there are too many words? Its hard man, hard.

    WHen I read a script I mostly read dialogue, partly because its easier to read. I think you shouldnt have too many action descriptions, make them short. But on the other hand you do have to describe everything.

    Its easier to write a friggin book. Why do script readers demand such awful things?

    I hope some of you can give me some tips on this.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member redlum's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2002
    Posts
    203
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I like to right as simple actions as possible and focus on the dialogue, as you're right nobody wants to read a load of directions and camera movements.

    I would recommend just storyboarding the action if its that intensive.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member ac_01's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2001
    Posts
    226
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Trouble is that your script has to flow and the only way to do that is to keep the actions short and sweet. I wrote a supernatural horror script a few months back and found it got cluttered with explanations of every little detail. The problem is to get the 'mood' of whats happenning you have to show everything. Find a way get to the basics.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member SoulJacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 30th, 2001
    Posts
    612
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Go read a few scripts - you will learn loads.

    I read a script once a day.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Red House Painter's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2001
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Concentrating on dialog and writing simple actions is all very well but film is foremost a visual medium. There is nothing worse than a 'talky' script that might as well be a book.

    On the other hand, I could describe action and various sequences till the cows comes home but try and limit my scripts to the fundamentals and the tone of the action. Sometomes I will include a camera angle or POV but only to show the pace or tone more clearly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •